1. What is the overall theme – color or synesthesia? (If synesthesia, what senses are you addressing?)
2. What Ways of Knowing are you addressing besides Sense Perception? (Reasoning? Emotion? Language?)
3. To what Areas of Knowledge does your project relate? (Arts, Psychology/Human Sciences, Maths, Natural Sciences, Ethics, History?)
4. What is it exactly, you plan to do and/or investigate?
I plan to investigate and analyze the use of color symbolism in the novel The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and compare the main colors symbols in that book to the same colors used in other literary works.
5. What is your driving question? (should be open-ended, perhaps starting with “How do we know” or “To what extent”)
To what extent do authors use various colors symbolically to insert meaning into their works?
6. How is your project inherently about knowledge/knowing?
I think that my project is inherently about knowledge because it explores a very important aspect of one of the ways of knowing: language. Language is not always used directly to convey knowledge. Figurative language, such as metaphors, similes, and symbols, is extremely important to understand as well, especially in literature.
7. What materials will you need?
I will need the book itself, of course, a computer to do auxiliary research and to compile my findings, and materials to make some sort of illustrations for the colors and the symbols they are associated with.
8. Who could assist you / mentor you on this project?
I don’t think I need anyone to assist me in this project because I don’t plan on doing anything out of the ordinary which I don’t already have the capabilities to do or that I don’t know how to do myself.
9. How will you present the project to the class?
I tentatively plan on presenting this project to the class with a Vuvox, showing the colors, my depictions of the main symbols from the novel, and pop-ups with analysis and other literary examples. However, I may also choose to make a poster with the illustrations and accompanying analysis. I do think that this version might be more visually appealing, but would not allow as much room for the writing.
10. Projects are due the Cycle of March 1 – how do you plan to manage the time for this task?
This gives me 18 days to complete the project, if I start tomorrow. I see it as having three main phases: doing research into and analyzing Fitzgerald’s use of color symbolism in The Great Gatsby, finding similar and contrasting uses of color symbolism in other works of literature, and illustrating the symbols I find. This gives me six days (nearly a week) to do each section of the project, which I think is ample time.